Egenton Home, Inc. was established and funded under the Last Will and Testament of William Egenton, a member of The First Presbyterian Church (now First & Franklin Presbyterian Church) of Baltimore, Maryland who died in 1836. William Egenton was moved to establish a charitable foundation for the benefit of orphan girls by the death at a very young age of his only daughter, Jane Egenton.
Egenton Home, Inc. was incorporated in 1860 by an Act of the General Assembly of Maryland. Beginning in or around 1880, Egenton Home, Inc. operated orphanages or group homes for girls in Baltimore until its most recent group home at 708 Park Avenue was closed and then sold in 2013. At that time, the Board concluded that continued operation of group homes was disfavored by current programming models, and determined that the charitable purposes of Egenton Home's charter would best be served by focusing on making grants to support worthy Central Maryland programs that benefit young women.
After Egenton Home, Inc. was organized, the Roberts family (also members of The First Presbyterian Church) made a bequest to Egenton Home, Inc. in memory of Annie Roberts to be used for the same charitable purposes as those specified by William Egenton. As a result, Egenton Home, Inc. manages the endowments of both the Jane Egenton Fund and the Annie Roberts Fund.
Under the governing provisions of William Egenton's will (as revised from time to time by the Circuit Court for Baltimore City, Maryland), the purpose of Egenton Home, Inc. is to provide for the health, education, and welfare of female minors. Members of the Board of Trustee's must be members of the First & Franklin Presbyterian Church. To learn more about the mission of First & Franklin Presbyterian Church located at 210 West Madison Street in Baltimore City, visit the church's website at www.firstfranklin.org.